Tuesday, September 27, 2011

10 Weeks of Acute Care

Yesterday was my first day of clinical rotations and despite catching a cold, out of control allergies, and psyching myself out so much the night before I felt like I wanted to puke, I made it through the day. All the first day really consisted of was getting acquainted with the hospital, learning the different computer systems they use, and all that fun stuff that comes with a new job. The second half of the day we met with our preceptors and I saw 3 patients in the afternoon. Today I was with my preceptor all day and I saw a total of 6 patients. There is so much to learn and remember that at times I do become overwhelmed but, I figure I'll get the hang of it soon. Each week I will be with a new preceptor in a different part of the hospital. Lucky me, I am the first one to do the critical care rotation that is coming up in TWO weeks which means I will be taking 25% of the work load myself (not to mention in the category I am most nervous about). Theres never been a better time to take the bull by the horns. 

I wish I had some crazy story about something I encountered in the hospital but, these past two days have been more about learning the ropes. I must say though, thankfully I didn't come all this way for nothing because I really am enjoying it all. The hospital setting is definitely something I love but, who knows where the next 9 months will lead me. 

This weeks rotation: General Med/Surg, OBGYN, Pediatrics 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gracie, nice post. Can't wait to hear more about the adventures of nutrition unplugged. Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete