Friday, December 9, 2011

Last Day

I am sad to say the last day of my clinical rotation ended yesterday but, happy to say I am off for the next 3 weeks. Well, not really...time to go back to the paying job. This week was filled with tons of patients, it seemed as if the consults never stopped rolling in. We presented our case studies on Tuesday and got rave reviews! My case study was on a patient who had a surgical complication called chylothorax. The dietitians urged me to present this as my case study because it is pretty rare. Out of the 20+ years some have been there they have only seen this twice. I had such an amazing experience in acute care that I will admit I got a little teary eyed thinking about leaving the place I have called home for the past 10 weeks. Just as you get the hang of it, it's all over.


On my last day I was fortunate enough to see a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube get place in a patient. The tube is passed into the stomach through the abdominal wall, and is used for feeding when they can't take anything by mouth. This particular patient was still able to eat by mouth but was going to be starting chemo and radiation for tongue cancer. I suspect he won't be eating much after that and will only be fed through his PEG tube. It's amazing to think that you can get fed without eating anything--the wonders of nutrition. 


your guess is as good as mine for where I'm headed for my next rotation. For now, I will enjoy my 3 weeks of relaxation and holiday festivities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment