Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Personally, I'm not one for new year's resolutions. It always seems as if resolutions are made and a week or so later we all fall out of touch with them. For me, every minute is a new time to do something for yourself. This year I decided to change it up, set a new year's resolution, and keep it. The month of March is National Nutrition Month and every year a 5/10k run/walk is held the first Saturday. I have always walked the 5k but this year I will be running the 10k (6.2 miles). This may sound like a small goal for some but, I am not a runner. Let me repeat, I am not a runner. Not to mention it's the dead of winter so running conditions are not the best. Yoga, swimming, biking, dancing, etc. are no problem but when it comes to running you can count me out. 


I have always admired runners for the dedication and willpower it takes and desperately wished I could pop on my running shoes and run a marathon. Well, my new year's resolution is the first step to that. 8 weeks and counting until I cross that finish line. 












Here are some of my favorite tips to help keep your new year's resolution:



  • Make measurable goals.  Instead of making your goal 'drink less pop', make it 'have 2 pops a day instead of 3'
  • Write it down. Look at your goal every day for a reminder 
  • Take baby steps. You didn't develop these habits over night so, don't expect them to go away over night. 
  • Track your progress. Keep track of small successes, they will help keep you motivated in reaching the big picture. 
  • Reward yourself. Treat yourself to something you love that doesn't contradict your resolution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment