Thursday, January 12, 2012

Family History

This week I worked no 9-5 job. If there is one thing known about food service it is the early morning (or late night) hours. As my alarm went off at 5am, a nice change from 3:30am I breathed a sign of relief that it was my last day. As I said in my last post this was the dreaded rotation. Not because I do not enjoy cooking but, because of the excruciating early mornings and the painful pins and needles feeling in my feet from standing for 8 1/2 hours. I haven't done that in a while a realized I don't want to do it again. To all my fellow high school classmates, I thought you might get a kick out of this: After talked to one of the sisters for a while I told her where I went to high school she looked at me and said "well, I won't hold that against you". I began to talk to another sister she said the same thing. I asked her why and she knew a few of them (one happened to be from MND) and informed me that the Sisters of Notre Dame had a reputation of being very strict and mean, which is why she decided to become part of the Sisters of Charity.







































Today I worked the salad prep station and couldn't help but think of my family history in food service. Although I am the first one to take a 'traditional' path in nutrition, as I thought back I realized many before had the same idea. This runs in both my Mother and Father's sides of the family and, for the sake of turning this post into a novel due to my large extended family, I will only mention my grandparents, aunts and uncles. 


Let's start with my Mother's side. Her father was a restaurant manager for 7 years and then went on to own his own restaurant for 10 years. 5 out of the 10 children (including my mother) have been in the restaurant business, mainly in manager positions. On to my father's side. His grandmother (my great grandmother) worked and owned many bars in the Steubenville, OH area and was a cook for priests. My grandmother followed in her shoes for 35-40 years. She was a cook for two bishops in the Steubenville area and, for her service the bishops presented her an award from the Pope and she then went on to cook for the Priests of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. 



I had always thought I just ran into majoring in nutrition but the more I look back I realized it runs in my blood and maybe it was somehow a divine intervention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment