Monday, January 9, 2012

Dish Duty


Although most people think that the only role a dietitian has it to tell people what to eat, we wear many hats. A dietitian can work in foodservice usually in a management position. This could be in a school, hospital, prison, restaurant, business, or a motherhouse. They come up with new menus, coordinate programs, train and supervise, and so much more. 


Today marked the first day of the dreaded food service rotation. I am at the Sister's of Charity Motherhouse which is a gorgeous campus inside and out. I guess it's about time to give back to all those nun's that taught me throughout the years. I have had some experience in food service as a hostess, busser, and waitress. I absolutely loved waitressing (could have a little something to do with the instant cash) so I didn't think it would be all that bad. My duties today were to work the dish room and tray line. The dish room is exactly what you think, I washed dishes but, for the tray line I took a certain position (cold food items) and put those foods on the trays to be delivered to the nun's who can not walk to the dining area. As the day went on I was quickly reminded of all the things I did not enjoy about serving...my feet hurt, my back hurt from lifting heavy dishes, and by 1:30 I was exhausted. As the day went on I questioned what the point of this was? I didn't put in so much work for the past 4 years to be an RD and work in a dish room. At the end of the day we spoke to the RD who is the food service director and she said something that put things into perspective: The things you do this week will come back to better you in one way or another. Basically, you have to understand the fundamentals before you can do anything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment