Thursday, January 19, 2012

You Can't Trust a Skinny Chef

The old saying goes you can't trust a skinny chef but, in my eyes they are the one's you want to trust. They know how to eat properly and stay healthy, something a lot of American's struggle with. Part of my job as an RD-to-be is keeping up with the latest health news. The top headline this week: Paula Deen confirms type 2 diabetes diagnosis. As a health professional I am saddened to hear another person is diagnosed with diabetes as this epidemic is booming. I would never wish diabetes on anyone but I think we could have all seen this one coming. Reading many articles and watching the clip of her on the ABC television show "The Chew" I quickly became quite angry over this situation. 


I have never been a huge fan of Paula Deen partially because each recipe she makes calls for a minimum of two sticks of butter and one cup of sugar. I felt bad for Paula Deen for about .2 seconds until this fact came to surface: she was diagnosed with diabetes THREE years ago. I can understand if she didn't want to share the news with the world three years ago but continuing to cook and encourage people to eat their way to getting diabetes really pushed my buttons. It's as if marketing herself and money was more important than the health and well being of people around the world. Last year Anthony Bourdain famously blasted Paula Deen calling her "most dangerous person to America". Sadly, I have to agree with his point of view. Now that she has confirmed her diabetes the comments continue on his twitter with "Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later" and "most dangerous person to America" who's "proud of the fact that her food is f------ bad for you." Yet again, I understand where he is coming from. 


On "The Chew" Paula Deen stated "this is not a death sentence" but unfortunately more often than not it is. Last quarter during my clinicals it was far too common to see diabetes on someones medical record as they sat in the hospital because of kidney failure or other complications caused by diabetes. Diabetes is not something to take lightly, nearly 26 million Americans have type 2 diabetes and approximately 79 million adults have prediabetes. If those numbers don't scare you, I don't know what will. Eating the food the Paula Deen proudly cooks can only contribute to this number and the numerous complications. Just to put it in perspective here is a small list of complications that can arise form uncontrolled diabetes: kidney disease, stroke, hypertension, foot complications, and eye complications. 


Deen also stated "she didn't expect people to eat her food 365 days a year". This may be true but when people find something they love they stick to it. She is already loved by so many and my hope for her coming forward is that she can now be an advocate for type 2 diabetes. She can show American's how modify recipes, keep their diabetes under control and turn their health around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment