Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Staffing Experience

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Mine was full of relaxation, family, and friends. I Just want to give a quick update though. Yesterday began the most important 2 weeks of my acute care rotation and, if it weren't for this sudden sickness I would have had an update yesterday. A slight fever and sore throat has me on bed rest. Well, as much rest as a full time job and a case study can get you.

I have made it to my staffing experience! What this means is, I am the dietitian for these last 2 weeks. We relieve the dietitians of all their patients and take over. So far, so good- 2 days down, 6 more to go. It almost felt like my first day all over again. That uneasy feeling returned and my nerves crept back. But, I got nervous for no reason. The day went smoothly and one of my patients even went out of their way to let the dietitian know I did such a great job with her. This particular patient was a 49 year old new onset type 1 diabetic (you usually get diagnosed with type 1 when you are young so, this was a very interesting case). I had to educate her on a diabetic diet and all that jazz that comes with having diabetes. It's always a pleasant experience when the patient is willing to learn and has an interest in what you are telling them. I spent a good 30-45 min. going over everything and answering all her questions. The questions are where it can be tricky, I always have to be on my toes and pull out that knowledge I have acquired over the past 4 years. Good news: all questions answered with no problem. Along with eating disorders I have an interest in diabetes and was glad to have her as a patient. I guess I'm doing something right!

Tomorrow we put together our super foods theme in the cafeteria that we have been working on for a couple of weeks. Check in tomorrow for more about super foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment