Monday, November 7, 2011

Cancer Care Smoothie Day

After the busyness that was last week I realized today I have neglected my blog. I do apologize and don't worry, this will not happen again. Last week on Wednesday the hospital hosted cancer care smoothie day. Using carnation instant breakfast (which may not appeal to all taste buds) the interns whipped up some 'smoothie' recipes that were delicious. We made a chocolate mocha hot smoothie that consisted of chocolate carnation instant breakfast, instant coffee, and chocolate syrup. The pumpkin spice was a cold smoothie with vanilla carnation instant breakfast, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla ice cream. Talk about delicious--I think I tried a little too samples of the pumpkin smoothie. After the smoothies were made we passed them out to the patients who were coming in for treatment. Most people opted to try them however, a lot of them didn't have the appetite because of their chemo. No, you don't have to have cancer to try these supplement recipes. Don't enjoy eating breakfast? Use a carnation instant breakfast to help get in the nutrients you need. 

That same day there was a Greater Cincinnati Dietetic Association wine tasting event. At the event you got 6 different wine tastings plus an array of food. There were 3 white wines and 3 red wines that you could pair with the menu:

  • Spinach and artichoke dip
  • baked pasta with a meat sauce
  • 3 grain salad with a sweet onion dressing
  • black bean cous cous salad
  • spicy lentil dip
  • Corn Fritters with chipotle aioli
  • Bread and olive oil
  • Whole wheat chocolate chip cookies
  • Light lemon bars
I had to hold myself back from purchasing some wine to take home however, now that I know they hold tastings every friday you can bet I will be returning soon. 

Last week was also my birthday. I wanted to thank all my friends and family for making it so special. I feel so blessed, 4 days of celebrating with such great people! I received a cook book for my birthday that will come in handy for me and will definitely make a debut to the blog soon: cooking for one. 

This weeks rotation: wound care and the behavioral unit
Projects: Lunch and learn (presenting next week!), case study, and cafeteria project-super foods

Today is Meatless Monday! look tomorrow (or if I get time tonight) for a post about meatless monday. If you have any good recipes leave them in the comments section, I'm always looking to try something new.




No comments:

Post a Comment