Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween has arrived and what goes hand in hand with halloween? You guessed it, candy. You may think that this would be a dietitian-to-be's worst nightmare but, you may be surprised. No, I am not here to tell you how you shouldn't eat the many sweet treats you may acquire over the night. I do believe the saying goes, practice what you preach and I certainly do not practice abstaining from candy--I don't think I could go without my favorite candy combination of peanut butter and chocolate. Even on such an unhealthy holiday you can still eat candy just like everyone else. Here's my motto: eat whatever you want, just in moderation. Go ahead and read the previous sentence again and engrave it into your mind. I have just given you the biggest key to staying healthy. Don't deprive yourself of the candy if you really want it because it will probably lead you to eating more than you actually wanted.

Tips for staying healthy on Halloween:
  • Pick out your favorite 10 pieces of candy and eat 1 piece for the next 10 days. 
  • Choose dark chocolate--some studies suggest dark chocolate is good for the heart.
  • Buy candy at the last minute to avoid unwanted snacking before trick-or-treaters arrive
  • Walk around with your trick-or-treaters--any exercise is good exercise. 
  • Give away extra candy to a local food shelter or send overseas to troops. 




Try my new favorite Halloween treat: Candy corn and peanuts. I'm not a big fan of candy corn on it's own but mixed with peanuts you would think your eating a Pay Day. Of course, I choose a higher ratio of peanuts to candy corn to help make it a little healthier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment