Friday, March 9, 2012

The End is Near(er)

This week was a big week. I ended my 7 week rotation at Children's (so sad to go!). This week was my obesity rotation and I have to say, I really loved it. As we all know, obesity is on the rise and is considered an epidemic in this country. According to the CDC, about 17% (12.5 million) children, ages 2-19, are obese and the prevalence rate since 1980 has tripled. More than 1/3 (35.7%) of U.S. adults are obese resulting in countless medical problems. 


I worked with a group they have called HealthWorks! that teaches overweight kids and teens how to eat healthy and exercise. I was also in the bariatric center for those who are either in the decision making process or in the treatment phases of bariatric surgery. On top of those, I spent a day in the lipid and hypertension clinic. During this rotation I did feel bad for some of these kids but, I was also so grateful that they were getting the help they need. The largest patient there this week was a CHILD with a BMI of 70 (morbidly obese). I got to sit in with each person on the team so I really got a good sense of who the patient was and what was going on in their life. This week I learned such a great lesson...you never know what someone is going through. The perspective I had of some of these patients during the nutrition interview was so different than when I went in with the social worker. Even though someone may put up a good front, they may really be struggling inside. But, thats what my job entails...helping people get healthy and love who they are.
Today I presented my big project for the year. My partner and I's topic was eating disorders and for our seminar we gave a presentation for the first hour and had a dietitian that works in eating disorders come and speak for the second hour. Man o man am I so happy to have that over with!! So, let's go through the check list for the year....Lunch and learn-check, case study during acute care-check, intern forum-check, case study during peds rotation-check, intern seminar-check. From here on out it's smooth sailing (I hope)! 


It's hard to believe that there are only 2 1/2 months until I complete my dietetic internship AND graduate. Two huge chapters are quickly coming to an end. For now, time to enjoy what's left and finally get some R&R during spring break in one week

No comments:

Post a Comment