Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Portion Distortion


This post is inspired by an experience I had yesterday morning that I am still racking my brain about. It all started when Nolan and I were headed out to get our day started. We were hungry and decided to stop on our way out to get a breakfast sandwich and some coffee (I'll keep the name underwraps). We get there and I order a breakfast sandwich and a small iced coffee. I was then informed that if I order a medium (a size BIGGER than I wanted) it would be cheaper. I quickly said no thank you, I only want a small and then thought to myself...what the heck?! how on earth does that make sense? They just offered me something more for less money...I don't get it, and I still don't get it. My second thought was no wonder everyone in America is gaining weight. The concept of portion sizes is all wrong. I understand everyone is pinching pennies left and right, myself included but, when it comes to food/my health I don't settle. Here's an example: The small coffe I got was 120 calories the medium they offered me is 200 calories. doesn't seem like a huge difference is calories but heres where my thought process is going...


I am not a big coffee drinker but I imagine people out there that would choose the cheaper medium coffee over the small the 5 days a week they work. If this is the case that is an extra 1,000 calories a week, 4,000 calories a month, meaning you would gain a little over 1 pound a month because of this coffee (or about 12 pounds a year). You then spend money dieting etc. all because you  didn't want to spend the extra 20 cents (or whatever it was) just to buy the smaller size. It's a vicious cycle, I know. So next time someone offers you a bigger size for less, I know it may be tempting but think of the overall picture. The amount of food you eat and drink plays an important role in energy balance and choosing smaller portions can help you lose weight and keep it off.


Here are some ways to control portion sizes:


1. Downsize your dishes. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Use smaller plates and bowls. We tend to fill up the plates we use and then eat it all. When you use a smaller plate your brain will think you are getting more when the same amount of food is put on a smaller plate
2. Use visual cues. A tennis ball is about the size of a piece of medium fruit, a deck of cards is one serving of meat etc.
3. Split an entree with a friend. Most restaurants serve more than the amount of food one person needs to eat in a day. Share with a friend (and it will be less expensive!) or, ask for a doggie bag to save it for lunch the next day.
4. Don't mindless eat. If you eat in front of the TV, put the amount of food you want on a plate instead of eating out of the package. It's easy to overeat when your focused on something else.
5. Figure out how big your portions really are. Measure the amount your plates, bowls, glasses actually hold.
6. Measure out a fixed amount. Measure out a serving size (check the label!) to see what it looks like in your dishes. Also, make your own 100 calorie packs of your favorite snacks (again, check the label for calories per serving). 






check out www.choosemyplate.gov for more information on decreasing portion sizes and a daily food plan to help manage your daily intake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment