Friday, March 30, 2012

Weight Management

The first week of the last quarter on my journey to be an RD has ended. I was at an amazing facility that dealt with surgical and nonsurgical weight loss. On Wednesday I was able to observe two weight loss surgeries, a bypass and lap band. Quick overview: bypass makes the stomach smaller and causes the food to bypass part of the intestine. Lap band does not require any cutting or stapeling of the stomach. An adjustable band is put around the top of stomach causing a restriction on the amount of food you are able to eat. Both of these surgeries also help you feel fuller faster and stay fuller longer.  


Everyone has their own opinions about weight loss surgeries and I'm not here to spark a debate but, it's truly remarkable the hundred's of ways there are to lose weight. I have now had the opportunity to see weight management in children and adults, both surgical and nonsurgical, and I have to say I love weight management for either population. I should have seen the signs earlier since 99% of my blog is about weight management. Unfortunately, that was my only week with them and next month I move on to schools, health departments, and meals on wheels. 


Tomorrow is the last day of National Nutrition Month. I hope everyone had the opportunity to get involved or get into eating healthy and exercising. Now...we begin the countdown for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment