Tuesday, August 16, 2011

4:30am Wake Up Call

Sorry for the lack of posts but, I did not think you would want to hear about compiling our mystery shopper data. Today We had to arrive at the Wesley Community Center by 6am where we received our next project: writing a 28 day cycle menu for meals on wheels. Those of you who get up early to be at work by 6am, I don't know how you do it. It was a bit of a struggle to get up at 4:30am but, I did it and will be taking a nap after I post this. 


Meals on wheels is a program set up for those who are home bound due to old age or disability. At varying times during the week meals that are nutritionally balanced, texture modified, or modified diets for those who have heart disease, kidney disease, or diabetes are delivered to their homes. For some, these are the only meals they eat during the week and the driver who delivers the meals is their only visitor. 


For the next two weeks it will be our job to create the cycle menu and do a nutrition analysis. All a cycle menu means is that after the 28 days are up, the beginning of the menu begins again. We were split into two groups (fall/winter and spring/summer) and my group is fall/winter. If your reading this thinking oh, I could do that, all you have to do it pick out 28 different foods, well...your wrong. It entails much more than you think. As our internship director said today, "I don't know any RD that enjoys making menus". We were given a list of foods we can use and each day must consist of foods that vary in texture, taste, color, etc. Price and labor are also a big factor. Each day needs to be different than the next and not too much of the same protein in a week. Each week must not have the same types of foods that begin or end a week. You must make sure you have varying types of foods say, on each Monday of the month. Each meal must contain an entree, a certain amount of starches, vegetables, fruits, and you can't forget the desserts (they seem to love their desserts). All this with strict nutrition guidelines. I could go on but, I'll spare you. After all our hard work of creating the menu is complete a panel will basically tear it apart until they are satisfied with what we have created. 


Although it's going to be a lot of work it will be a great experience and I will be able to say I created a menu for meals on wheels--a good cause. And hey, after all I did go to school for this.


I almost forgot! I received my first rotation. I will go to St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Northern Kentucky for 12 weeks. I won't start my rotation until the end of September but I can't wait to blog about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment